Wednesday, February 9, 2011

On connections

I went to starbucks tonight to work on my thesis. Honestly, there is no better way to relieve my thesis stress than a nice yummy cup of hot caramel apple spice. Yuuuuummmmy! Anyways, as I was sitting in starbucks, trying to work on my thesis, I was a little distracted by the other people sitting around me. In front of me, there was a lady, probably late thirties to mid forties. She had a cup of coffee and was talking on the phone. She was talking to somebody about her child (?) who was obviously in highschool. I was sad for her. She was distressed and worried about her kid (I didn't catch why...but thats not the point...). Next to me, there was a man and a woman talking about finances. The woman was a little upset at times. She kept talking about how she just wanted to have a little money to be able to decorate her home. At least thats what I heard. I felt bad for them, too. And then there was me, quite distressed about my thesis and the 100 notecards due friday (*cries*).

This situation made me think of the song Piano Man by Billy Joel. Its like we had all come into starbucks for a moment's peace. I was in there to study in quiet, the man and woman were in there to talk over a cup of coffee and get some things sorted out and the other woman was in there to just sit back and relax. We weren't in there to hear a piano man...maybe we were just in there to hear nothing . Maybe we were just in there to forget about life for a while . Who knows.

"It's a pretty good crowd for a Saturday
And the manager gives me a smile
'Cause he knows that it's me they've been comin' to see
To forget about their life for a while"

No comments:

Post a Comment